Lead Data Scientist
Job description, responsibilities and duties
- The Cat® Digital group is the digital and technology arm of Caterpillar Inc., responsible for bringing world class capabilities to our products and services. With over one million connected assets worldwide, we’re focused on using data, advanced analytics, and AI capabilities to help our customers build a better world. To accomplish this, we’re deploying analytics that generate insights, recommend optimized decisions, and improve products by intelligently integrating massive quantities of telematics information, transactional records, images, unstructured documents, and other data sources.
- Join our group of world-class data scientists and apply deep learning to remote sensor data to diagnose potential issues and schedule proactive repairs before failures arise. Or improve products and product recommendations by developing a detailed understanding of how customers use their Cat equipment. Or use the insights gained from equipment and customer profiles to design customized service offerings that maximize our customers’ value of their Cat equipment fleets. You’ll have significant opportunity to do meaningful work that makes a real impact.
- Caterpillar uses quantitative methods such as simulations, data mining, modeling and advanced statistical techniques to solve problems. The Lead Data Scientist contributes to this mission by acting as the technical lead of analytics project teams tasked with solving problems of medium to high complexity and may also be viewed as a technical expert in a particular analytics approach, related digital technology, or business domain.
- Caterpillar uses quantitative techniques to solve problems for internal and external Caterpillar customers, with a particular focus on condition monitoring. Typical problems include developing mathematical models to predict service needs based on Internet of Things (IoT) data, inspections, and other data sources, optimizing service intervals, and optimizing business processes to maximize the performance of condition monitoring systems.The principal responsibility of the Lead Data Scientist is to move from being a technical lead on low to medium complexity analytics projects to acting as the technical lead on analytics projects of medium to high complexity. In addition, the Lead Data Scientist will be an expert in the application of analytics to condition monitoring. The Lead Data Scientist is viewed as one of the most experienced technical experts in the organization whose breadth of knowledge in analytic techniques may be called upon to help on a multitude of business problems. Under the direction of their leader, this position will participate on cross functional project teams, provide overall guidance to the technical direction of the project, and mentor Jr Data Scientists on the technical approaches being used in order to solve a problem presented by a Caterpillar Business Unit or Service Organization, a Caterpillar Dealer, or a Caterpillar Customer.
The Lead Data Scientist will
- Demonstrate a breadth and depth of knowledge in the application of statistical and/or digital methods to solve business problems
- Demonstrate competency in coaching and mentoring Jr. Data Scientists in the creation, validation, and application of statistical models as well as in implementing digital solutions;
- Demonstrate thorough knowledge of Caterpillar Inc.; its products and services; its internal systems, processes, and procedures; and its relevant external influences (competitors, laws and regulations, market conditions, etc.)
- Demonstrate strong initiative to research and apply new methods and digital technologies to exceed customer expectations.
- Have a strong focus on continual learning in the Analytics field
- Demonstrate strong customer focus in the application of Analytics techniques and digital technologies to solve business problems
- Demonstrate significant knowledge in the use of Data Analytics software solutions.
- Significant challenges of this position are working with people; enhancing the team’s creativity; maintaining knowledge of approaches used in similar projects; and pushing the technical bounds of experimentation while meeting customer commitments.
- The Lead Data Scientist acts as the overall technical lead for a project team in establishing a sound approach for solving the problem at hand. The incumbent will develop good networks within the technical community to enable them to collaborate on technical solutions, obtain resources and cooperation needed, and remove roadblocks so that they can insure the success of their team.The Lead Data Scientist bears primary responsibility for solving the business problem presented through applied analytics. In addition, the Lead Data Scientist may be identified as an expert in a particular analytic approach, associated digital technology, or in the application of analytics in a particular business domain.
The Lead Data Scientist demonstrates thorough statistical and/or digital technology knowledge as well as the ability to solve complex problems. He or she demonstrates very good communication skills and the ability to explain conclusions to customers with limited knowledge and experience with quantitative analytical methods. Candidates for this position will be expected to have previous experience as the technical lead on project teams, and should exhibit strong communication skills, a penchant for innovation, and above average initiative, people development, and interpersonal skills. He or she should also have a comprehensive knowledge of Caterpillar Inc.; its products and services; its internal systems, processes, and procedures; and a general understanding of Caterpillar’s external customers, competitors, and market influencers.
Employee perks and benefits
- No company bullshits
- Transparent approach and communication
- Professional growth
- Supporting your ideas
- 3x localhost days and 3x sick days
- Flexible working arrangements
- Bonuses at every smashing life events
- Benefit plus budget
Information about the selection process
- We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, along with the opportunity to work on cutting-edge machine learning projects in a global organization (global leader in the manufacturing and distribution of heavy equipment and machinery) collaborate with talented professionals, and make a significant impact on our organization’s success. Apply now and be a part of our innovative journey!
Requirements for the employee
Candidates with education suit the position
University education (Bachelor’s degree)
University education (Master’s degree)
Language skills: English – Upper intermediate (B2)
Number of years of experience: 5
Personality requirements and skillsIdeally requires a Master’s degree and 7-9 years of relevant experience, or a PhD and 4-6 years of relevant experience, preferably in data science, computer science, statistics, mathematics, or a similar field. Must be comfortable working in industry standard analytics packages. Must demonstrate a breadth and depth of knowledge in analytics techniques and related digital technologies. Must also display strengths in initiative, innovation, interpersonal skills and people development.
Brief description of the company
“Think globally, act locally." We at localhost are passionate group of tech enthusiasts, with strong software development history and expertise, agile mindset, and DevOps culture. Established in Kosice, Slovakia, we've evolved and grown in 10 years of time, to now be capable of serving the best global brands of the world.With more than 50 engineers, customer focus, continuous improvement, and growth attitude, we are proud to be the partner to several domestic and world-wide customers.
- Start ASAP
- Duration Fulltime
- Employment Trading license / Working contract
- Salary 2000 Eur /month + Bonus
- Location Remote work